Sunday, December 19, 2010

Book reflection

I found some of my long-held beliefs challenged when I read Daniel T. Willingham’s book. One concept I found interesting in his book Why Don’t Students Like School is that “Children are more alike than different in terms of how they think and learn.” (p. 147) I have always just accepted the idea that students could be classified as visual, auditory or kinesthetic learners. The author pointed out that research does not support that theory. But he also didn’t dispute that people have a preference for learning using their preferred method of receiving information. I have always considered myself a visual learner but according to the author (and my preference for receiving information), I am a learner with a good visual memory. I can see where looking at how students learn in a different way could change the way I teach.

I was encouraged by the idea that as a teacher, I can best serve my students by focusing on content and providing learning opportunities that utilize a variety of learning styles. I found this to be a comforting solution to something that has always nagged at me. I always felt that I was doing a disservice to my students because there didn’t seem to be enough time in the day to devise lessons that could meet the needs of all my students if some were visual and some were auditory or kinesthetic learners.

“Most of the time students need to remember what things mean, not what they sound like or look like.” (p. 156) As a rule, lessons focus on meaning. I like the idea that now I can focus on content and providing variety and still challenge my students without worrying that I am not doing enough. Of course I will still pay attention to each individual student and their progress, but I believe I can feel more confident that I am providing what the students need.

1 comment:

  1. I was also a bit surprised by the finding that children are more alike than different in how they think and learn. I have always felt that I am a better "hands on" learner, rather than auditory. I remember more if I am actually engaged with the process and writing about it, rather than just "hearing" about it. I think it is important that we know what our learning method prefernces are and to work more at focusing when we encounter learning events that use methods we find more challenging.

    ReplyDelete